Wednesday, May 16, 2007

sam's town


I sincerely apologize for having dropped off the face of the planet like I have, but thankfully, Sam is here to rescue us all with a mix I've been listening to nonstop for the past 24 hours, and one I hope you'll spend as much time with yourself. Without ado...

SAMANTHA'S MIX: i want people to be afraid of how much they love me [pop-up player]

1. muscle 'n flo - menomena....they have shocked me, shocked me, SHOCKED ME! a lovely surprise and i haven't heard anything like it in years.

2. punctual as usual - the parson red heads....a summer video montage, driving with the windows down in a road-worn saturn, humming along "you are the ground beneath my feet."

3. a king and a queen - okkervil river....a sick, sweet waltz. and i'm a sucker for the horn intro.

4. goodbye - asobi seksu....i bought this cd on a lark when i had a free afternoon and too much money on my debit card. love from the get-go. and she inspires me to learn japanese...one day.

5. stars and sons - broken social scene....i watched half nelson on a snowy, cold saturday morning, wrapped in a blanket at my desk. he started to dance and i just knew.

6. beverly - the carrots....toe tapping, 60s girl harmony that makes me wish i was sipping lemonade and listening to vinyl, my hair up in a beehive and my feet zipped up in a great pair of go-go boots.

7. comfy in nautica - panda bear....wow.

8. wet and rusting - menomena....there's an awesome home-made video of the band members jumping up and down on mini trampolines. just makes me smile.

9. tokyo - headlights...jeff and i have debated many a time the best headlights material, and while i love the new stuff, i always come back to this song. "if home is where the heart is, then home is here." if that doesn't say it all....

10. look! - the antlers....in the attic of the universe is my most unexpected and cherished find. it just sounds like magic. anyone can download the album *FREE* at reloada.uk.com and i suggest that you do.

11. wearing the colors - the laughing....i just want to be in a dark nyc night club, wearing tight pants and grinding up on some rock and roll, indie dude that puts his eye liner on better than i do.

12. crown of love - the arcade fire...i was never a huge af fan until i saw their video at blogotheque and now i'm sifting through the material, hoping to find a real gem. this could be....? might be...? i haven't decided.

13. my moon my man - feist....1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10 reasons to love this song. :D haha, and the album for that matter. i wish i was a sealion woman.

14. snow & lights - explosions in the sky....a song i love to get lost in, lying on my floor with my eyes closed, just day dreaming.

15. goodhouses - madeline....be careful; this one will getcha. hauntingly beautiful.

16. sawdust & diamonds - joanna newsom....one long song after another, i know, but she's just such a great story teller. her voice cracks in just the right way and she's totally believable. she could sell me anything and i'd snatch it right up.

17. save your day - jose gonzalez....oh, jose. my lover, you have comforted me on so many nights. he's always ready to wipe away my harshest and fiercest of tears, with never a complaint. oh, jose. and! seeing him live was like seeing the messiah. but better.

18. holland - sufjan stevens....even sad things are beautiful.

19. the apple tree - peter and the wolf...."how lucky to be, so unusally free."

[I'm going to put this up as a ZIP file to download, but I'm having trouble archiving it. Anticipation makes the pleasure.]

--

Libra (September 23-October 22)
"There can be no transformation of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion," wrote psychologist Carl Jung. That should be your motto in the coming week, Libra. Clear thinking and impeccable logic will not be sufficient to guide you to your next great adventure. You need the driving force of succulent emotion rising up in your solar plexus, the lush power of raw sensitivity piercing your heart. Feel as deep as you dare.

7 Comments:

Blogger emma said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:53 PM  
Blogger ryan said...

well, emma deleted her comment before i could reply... but the horoscope is for libra sam. so the question, sam, from emma, is...

do you dare? :)

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ryan, you trickster!

8:03 PM  
Blogger ryan said...

email notification, baby!

8:13 PM  
Blogger china said...

I love that you posted that picture before Sam's mix... After looking at it, certain [more or less] morbid words within the subtitles popped out to me that would have, otherwise, not.

Such as... "shocked" (though it IS in caps, haha). "beneath," "sick," "cold," "dark," "lost," "hauntingly beautiful," (which perfectly describes "Trouble With Dreams" by Eels, also!) etc.

...but leave it to me to turn it tragic. The mix is beautiful, really, though it's not really my music style. ;)

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as deep as i dare...

i think i'll take that challenge.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reloada.co.uk

SORRY!!!!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home