Monday, February 19, 2007

everything around him turns to dust

so i've gotta renege [do you ever just want to make out with your dictionary?] on my promise of an epic post. i'd been holding onto tiny thoughts all week, scribbled onto post-its and the backs of opened envelopes, stuffed in pockets of jeans, jacket and bag, with the intention of expanding on each when i found the time to. but when i got home from work today and downloaded a security update waiting for me from apple -- in lappy's current condition, i knew this was risky -- my hopes for some late-night, sunday poeticism went swirling down the drain. after installing and restarting, i was left with a beautiful aqua blue screen and not much else. so, understanding my fickle little machine like i do, i powered her down and waited [sometimes she just needs a nap]. i dug through one of my boxes still [still] unpacked from the move, found volume 2 of "larry's last tuesday" and, after uncapping una cerveza, put it in the cd player and sat, back to the wall, eyes closed and reminiscing our old once-a-week retreat to the white horse in champaign. take me now, larry:

larry gates - radio cure (wilco)

[even though you were never there and kind of hate me now, this makes me think of you, laurie.]

it didn't take too long, nor much of the beer, to make me sappily text message everyone from the old tuesday troupe, "listening to larry... miss my tues crew." jerkass-paul called me only a couple minutes later, and we spent the next hour catching up after months of our own absence from one another. we talked of turntables and lacks of social life, and music we'd each come across and wanted to share. he hooked me up with an oink invite, which i'd tried to acquire some time ago, but failed, which made me more than happy. with lappy slowly crawling towards her end, and applications picking and choosing when they want to run, i've lost nearly all downloading capability -- you don't understand how crippled this makes me feel -- and this gives me a new, untapped avenue to keep finding the music that keeps me going.

in related news, modest mouse's new album leaked on thursday. with lappy like she is, i'd ruled out the possibility of finding the album if it were to leak before its march 20 release, but, as a modest mouse album always seems to do, it found me instead. i copied nick on the find, and knowing i'd have to spend all weekend with the album if i wanted us to have anything to talk about for the next month, i did just that. i finally hooked up the surround system he loaned me while he's on tour [nick: "i'd rather you take them to texas than know they're going unused"] and kept my neighbors up night and day listening to the thing. it's good.

but the song of the night belongs to jerkass, who was the cherry on top of a wonderful weekend. "you ever hear of the band 'crosby, stills, nash and young?" he asked me a few minute into our conversation. of course, i said. but i'd never heard of the hollies, graham nash's band beforehand. after a little wikipedia work, i see that CSN&Y put out the live 4 way street [amazon] in '71, and that's where nash steps up to the mic for this acoustic version of the hollies' "king midas in reverse":

hollies - king midas in reverse

he'd even like to sleep at night
but he can't...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't feel bad about the unpacked boxes. my suitcases from winter break are still laying, unpacked on the floor of my apartment. it's become a game, me trying to choose clothes from the pile that are clean or "gently" worn. i think i may take on the mountain today. wish me luck! :)

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home